Notice: Function _load_textdomain_just_in_time was called incorrectly. Translation loading for the change-wp-admin-login domain was triggered too early. This is usually an indicator for some code in the plugin or theme running too early. Translations should be loaded at the init action or later. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 6.7.0.) in /home/u168781334/domains/cashmycurrency.com/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 6260
Nippon, U.S. Steel file suit after Biden administration blocks $15 billion deal – Cash My Currency- Financial Updates | Business Blog Post | Financial Guest Posting Services

Nippon, U.S. Steel file suit after Biden administration blocks $15 billion deal

Nippon, U.S. Steel file suit after Biden administration blocks  billion deal

United States Steel logo. File
| Photo Credit: AP

Nippon Steel and U.S. Steel are filing a federal lawsuit challenging the Biden administration’s decision to block a proposed nearly $15 billion deal for Nippon to acquire Pittsburgh-based U.S. Steel.

The suit, filed Monday (January 6, 2025) in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, alleges that it was a political decision and violated the companies’ due process.

Nippon Steel had promised to invest $2.7 billion in U.S. Steel’s ageing blast furnace operations in Gary, Indiana, and Pennsylvania’s Mon Valley. It also vowed not to reduce production capacity in the United States over the next decade without first getting U.S. government approval.

President Biden on Friday (January 3, 2025) decided to stop the Nippon takeover — after federal regulators deadlocked on whether to approve it — because “a strong domestically owned and operated steel industry represents an essential national security priority. … Without domestic steel production and domestic steelworkers, our nation is less strong and less secure,” he said in a statement.

While administration officials have said the move is unrelated to Japan’s relationship with the U.S. — this is the first time a U.S. president has blocked a merger between a U.S. and Japanese firm.

Mr. Biden departs the White House in just a few weeks.

The president’s decision to block the deal comes after the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, known as CFIUS, failed to reach a consensus on the possible national security risks of the deal last month, and sent a long-awaited report on the merger to Mr. Biden. He had 15 days to reach a final decision.

Scroll to Top